Associate Professor Brendon O'Connor
Associate Professor in American Politics & Director of Teaching and Learning
Phone: +61 9036 9206
Brendon joined the United States Studies Centre at the University of Sydney in 2008 as Associate Professor in American Politics. He is the Director of Teaching and Learning at the Centre and the coordinator of the American Studies program at the University of Sydney.
Brendon was a Fulbright Fellow at Georgetown University in 2006, the Australian Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington DC in 2008 and a Visiting Fellow at the University of Cambridge in 2012. He is the editor of seven books on anti-Americanism and has also published articles and books on American welfare policy, presidential politics, US foreign policy, and Australian-American relations. He has taught courses on American domestic politics and foreign affairs, and supervised theses on a variety of topics such as anti-Americanism, neoconservatism, the Iraq War and presidential politics. He is a regular commentator in the Australian media on American politics and foreign policy.
- Brendon O'Connor, ed. American Foreign Policy Traditions: The foundations the America tradition, (London: Sage, 2010).
- Brendon O'Connor, ed. American Foreign Policy Traditions: The traditions of great power America, (London: Sage, 2010).
- Brendon O'Connor, ed. American Foreign Policy Traditions: Anti-American tradition, (London: Sage, 2010).
- Brendon O'Connor, ed. American Foreign Policy Traditions: Regional and national varieties of anti-Americanism, (London: Sage, 2010).
- Brendon O'Connor ed. Anti-Americanism: Causes and Sources (Oxford: Greenwood World Publishing, 2007).
- Brendon O'Connor ed. Anti-Americanism: Historical Perspectives (Oxford: Greenwood World Publishing, 2007).
- Brendon O'Connor ed. Anti-Americanism: Comparative Perspectives (Oxford: Greenwood World Publishing, 2007).
- Brendon O'Connor and Martin Griffiths co-eds. Anti-Americanism: In the 21st Century (Oxford: Greenwood World Publishing, 2007).
- Brendon O'Connor and Martin Griffiths co-eds. The Rise of anti-Americanism (London: Routledge, 2006).
- Brendon O'Connor, A Political History of the American Welfare System: When Ideas have Consequences (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2004).
Recent academic articles and working papers
- David MacDonald and Brendon O’Connor, “Special Relationships: Australia and New Zealand in the Anglo-American World” in Peter Katzenstein ed. Anglo-America and its Discontents (London: Routledge, 2012): 176-203.
- Lloyd Cox and Brendon O’Connor, “Australia, the US, and the Vietnam and Iraq Wars: ‘Hound dog not Lapdog’” Australian Journal of Political Science, June, 2012: 173-187.
- Brendon O'Connor and Srdjan Vucetic, "Another Mars/Venus divide? Why Australia said "yes" and Canada said "non" to involvement in the 2003 Iraq War," Australian Journal of International Affairs, Volume 64, Issue 5, 2010
- Brendon O'Connor and Katherine Delaney, "The ABC and anti-Americanism: The case of Minister Alston and the 2003 Iraq War," Australian Journal of Political Science. September, 2009.
- Brendon O'Connor, "Dating Clinton: Memoirs of the Clinton Era," White House Studies. volume 7.4, 2007.
- Brendon O'Connor, "Beyond the Cartoon: George W. Bush and his biographers" Political Studies Review. Volume 3, 2005.
- Brendon O'Connor, "The Anti-American Tradition: A literature review". Working paper.
- Brendon O'Connor, "American foreign policy traditions:A literature review". Working paper.
Public lectures and media work
- Channel Ten Late News, Obama to address drones, Guantanamo in speech, 20 May 2013
- ABC TV Planet America, Reagan, Syria and coming out in the NBA, 3 May 2013
- Cost of Iraq War drains the US in race with China, The Australian, 20 March 2013
- Barack Obama on notice to come good with same bad hand, The Australian, 19 January 2013
- ABC Planet America, Romney under fire in gaffe-filled week, 21 September 2012
- ABC Classic FM Midday with Margaret Throsby, American elections enter final phase, 3 September 2012
- ABC Radio National Late Night Live, Anti-Americanism in focus, 16 August 2012
- ABC Planet America, Super Tuesday looms large for Romney, 2 March, 2012
- Sky News, Show moves to South Carolina, 11 January, 2012
- SBS World News Australia, President adds "personal touch" to alliance, 17 November, 2011
- Sky News, A special on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, 11 September, 2011
- On Line Opinion, Americans are people too, 9 September, 2011
- Sky News Business, Obama in stand-off with Republicans, 4 July, 2011
- SBS World News Australia, Bin Laden no cure-all for Obama, 4 May, 2011
- ABC News 24, Media and public hungry for more, 4 May, 2011
- ABC News 24, Osama Bin Laden dead, 2 May, 2011
- SBS World News Australia, State of the Union, 26 January, 2011
- ABC News 24 The World, Legacy of a deal maker, 14 December, 2010
- 612 ABC Brisbane, Leaks classified but not top secret, 1 December, 2010
- ABC News 24 The World, Wikileaks causes more controversy, 29 November, 2010.
- ABC News 24 The Drum, Hillary Clinton visit, 8 November, 2010.
- Sky News, Democrats lose House of Representatives, 3 November, 2010.
- Radio National Australia Talks, Democrats left reeling, 3 November, 2010.
- ABC The Drum Unleashed, What's wrong with American politics? The Congress, 11 October, 2010.
- On Line Opinion, Obama is 'on the nose', 5 August, 2010.
- ABC News Radio, Gulf oil spill delays Obama visit to Australia, 4 June, 2010.
- ABC The Drum Unleashed, Has Obama changed the world in 18 months? 31 May, 2010.
- Sky News, Obama trip cancelled, 19 March, 2010.
- SBS Television, Up in the air, 15 March, 2010.
- SBS Television, Obama outlines his agenda for 2010, 28 January, 2010.
- Triple J Radio, The shuffle president, 4 November, 2009.
- Sky News Agenda, Edward Kennedy, August 30, 2009.
- "American Ignorance and Global anti-Americanism" World Affairs Council, Washington DC, June 25th, 2009.
- ABC Radio National, Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin quits.
- PBS Radio Florida USA, The US and Australian Political Systems.
- SBS Television, "Obama address the Congress".
- "Once upon a time in America" ABC Unleashed, July 14, 2009.
- "Reading Obama" Australian Book Review, April 2009.
- "Obama as a modern day Jefferson," The Australian, April 17, 2009.
- "A woman from Mars?" ABC Unleashed, October 3 2008.
- "Political pundits puzzled as ever" Courier Mail, January 25, 2008.
- "History's faithless scribe" Weekend Australian, December 23-24, 2006
- "Bush-Bashing: The hated and the haters" Griffith Review, Spring, 2004.