Celebrating 10 years of the Australia-US Free Trade Agreement
2 July 2015
Time: 8:00am - 2:30pm
Location: Hilton Sydney
The Australia-US Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA) marked its 10th anniversary in 2015. To celebrate this landmark agreement, the American Chamber of Commerce in Australia (AmCham), the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Centre brought together leading Australian and American business representatives, government officials, and policy experts to reflect on its past successes and its implications for the future bilateral trade agenda.
Keynote speakers, expert panels, and interactive discussions examined the agreement in its current form and explored the future path towards enhanced bilateral trade and investment, an improved regulatory and investment environment between our two countries, the promotion of increased business mobility and collaboration, and the achievement of greater trade and investment liberalisation in the years ahead.
Given their importance to the Australia–US bilateral economic relationship, the conference particularly focused on how to improve bilateral cooperation and progress in the energy sector, and in the technology and innovation space across all sectors.
The conference addressed:
- Energy and Innovation in the 21st Century
- The Next Chapters in Indo-Pacific Free Trade
- Plans to Bolster the Future Prosperity Between Australia and the U.S.
- Business Opportunities Across the Pacific
8:00 am — Registration & Networking
8:40 am — Welcome Address Followed by Opening Keynote
- The Hon. John Berry, US Ambassador to Australia
- Ambassador Robert Zoellick, Former US Trade Representative and World Bank President. Click here for the text of Ambassador Zoellick's address.
9:30 am — Panel 1: Assessing AUSFTA
- The Hon. Mark Vaile AO, Former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia
- Heather Ridout AO, Chair AustralianSuper Pty Ltd and Board Member, Reserve Bank of Australia
- Andrew Stoler, Former Deputy Director General, World Trade Organisation
- Kate Carnell AO, CEO, Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
10:40 am — Morning Tea
11:10 am — Panel 2: Unconventional Energy and new Technologies
- The Hon. Martin Ferguson AM, Chairman, The Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association
- Page Maxson, Chairman CEO, Australia Pacific LNG Pty Ltd
- Tony Wood, Energy Program Coordinator, Grattan Institute
- Dean Dalla Vale, BHP President HSE, Marketing & Technology, BHP Billiton
11:10 am — Panel 3: Fostering Innovation across the Pacific
- Nick Wilson, Managing Director, Hewlett-Packard, South Pacific
- Sarah Vaughan, Developer Experience Director, Microsoft Australia
- Brad Furber, COO, Michael Crouch Innovation Centre, UNSW Australia
- Dr Alex Wonhas, Executive Director, CSIRO Energy
12:30 pm — Lunch Commences
1:20 pm — Lunch Keynote Address
- The Hon. John Howard, OM AC, Former Prime Minister of Australia
- Ambassador Michael Thawley AO, Secretary, Department of the Prime Minister & Cabinet
- Ambassador Robert Zoellick, Former US Trade Representative and World Bank President
2:30 pm — Event Concludes
- Arrival Tea & Coffee
- Morning Tea
- 2 Course plated lunch & beverage package
In conjunction with:
The world's largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio spanning printing, personal computing, software, services, IT infrastructure at the convergence of the cloud and connectivity, creating seamless, secure, context-aware experiences for a connected world. HP creates new possibilities for technology to have meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments, society. www.hp.com.au
Visy is an integrated packaging and resource recovery company with a product and service offering that can span the entire packaging life cycle. We are supporting our customers’ growth into new markets through a culture of innovation, a strong service model and ongoing investments. Visy can help customers design & create packaging, manufacture and transport it, provide in-store display and promotion solutions and then collect it back again to recycle into new products. Visy also supplies a range of consumables including tapes, product angles and stretch wrap. For further information, please call us on 13 8479. www.visy.com.au
Delta Air Lines is the world's largest airline, offering services to 368 destinations in 66 countries and carrying over 170 million passengers each year. Delta flies a brand new B777-200LR aircraft daily between Sydney and Los Angeles with connections to our main hub in Atlanta and all major USA cities. www.delta.com
United started service to Australia in 1979 and today operates daily Boeing 777-200 flights from Sydney to both its San Francisco and Los Angeles hubs, in addition to the daily Boeing 787-9 service from Melbourne to Los Angeles. The nonstop services between Melbourne and Los Angeles are operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. United has timed the new flights to connect conveniently at Los Angeles with an extensive network of service throughout the U.S.A., Canada and Latin America. United also operates a twice-weekly service from Cairns to Guam, an international hub that connects to 18 destinations across Asia Pacific.
United PassPlus provides more affordable and flexible travel that can help corporate customers with their bottom line. PassPlus is a prepaid program with a one-year term that fits the needs of many small to medium-sized businesses. To receive more information or to request a meeting with a United sales representative, please email PassPlusAU@united.com. www.united.com/au
Virgin Australia is putting the magic back into flying with award-winning service, new gourmet menus designed by acclaimed Australian chef Luke Mangan, a fleet of new and refurbished aircraft, refurbished terminals and architecturally designed lounges. Virgin Australia offers a comprehensive domestic and international network with its airline partners, with the ability to earn and redeem Velocity Frequent Flyer Points and earn status credits on flights in Australia and around the world. www.virginaustralia.com
A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be the world's largest independent biotechnology company, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential. www.amgen.com.au
For more than a century, the people of Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM) have transformed crops into products that serve the vital needs of a growing world. Today, we’re one of the world’s largest agricultural processors and food ingredient providers, with more than 33,000 employees serving customers in more than 140 countries. With a global value chain that includes more than 460 crop procurement locations, 300 ingredient manufacturing facilities, 40 innovation centers and the world’s premier crop transportation network, we connect the harvest to the home, making products for food, animal feed, chemical and energy uses. www.admworld.com
VIDEOS & INTERVIEWS
Alliance 21 fellow Richard Fontaine on ABC TV The Drum.
Rewatch our live Convention specials with ABC's Planet America, as our experts dissect Trump, Clinton and what's ahead in the race.
Centre CEO Simon Jackman explains the Centres wide range of teaching, research, study abroad and outreach activities.