Lecturer in American Studies
REFERENCE No. 1669/0715
- Join a leading academic institution
- 3 years fixed term remuneration package: $114,000 p.a. (which includes leave loading and 17% super)
- Teaching and research position
The United States Studies Centre at the University of Sydney currently invites applications for a Lecturer in American Studies.
In this exciting role you will:
- Teach three US Studies Centre units per year plus six tutorials
- Develop curriculum individually and as part of a team
- Make an important contribution to the research strengths of the Centre, including regular publication in journals of high ranking and other quality outlets, and the pursuit of research grants
- Coordinate the Centre’s international visiting fellows program
- Provide academic support to the Centre’s Global Experiential Learning (GEL) programs and undertake international travel for these programs as needed
- Play a leadership role in the delivery of the Centre’s postgraduate teaching review
- Develop effective interdisciplinary collaborations within the University and with external stakeholders
- Engage with the media and interested members of the public.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- a PhD in American Studies or related discipline
- teaching experience at tertiary level in American Studies, including postgraduate teaching
- ability to teach core introductory units in American Studies at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- a commitment to teamwork in curriculum development and other areas of academic administration
- a demonstrated research track record in American Studies
- the ability to articulate a plausible and ambitious 2-3-year research plan which demonstrates potential for outstanding scholarly achievement in your area of specialisation
- previous experience in coordinating an international visiting fellows program
- experience working in a collegial and effective manner with colleagues at department, faculty, and University level, as well as with external stakeholders
- a demonstrated capacity for engagement in outreach activities on US culture and public life
- evidence of your ability to participate in collaborative research projects
- experience with a diverse student body, including local, career change and international students.
Desirable for appointment is your:
- experience in a multidisciplinary American studies environment
- familiarity with teaching American Studies outside the US
- research specialisation in American culture
The successful candidate will hold a three year appointment in the United States Studies Centre at the University of Sydney and be employed by the United States Studies Centre under an individual contract.
The position is a three-year fixed term full-time role, subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period for new appointees.
To be considered for this position it is essential that you address the online selection criteria.
Remuneration package: $114,023 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $96,344 p.a., leave loading and 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation). The successful applicant is also eligible for a performance bonus and salary packaging benefits.
Specific enquiries about the position can be directed to Craig Purcell at email@example.com.
Enquiries regarding the recruitment process can be directed to Kristy Fairweather at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11.30pm, 11 September 2015
How to apply
- Selection criteria (Word)
To apply online please visit the University of Sydney recruitment website.
VIDEOS & INTERVIEWS
Research associate Tom Switzer joins a panel of experts to discuss a wide range of issues, including the popularity of Donald Trump, gun control in the United States and democracy in the Middle East.
On the 10th anniversary since Hurricane Katrina, honorary professor Edward Blakely, discusses the disaster and what its mismanagement highlighted about inequality in the United States.