Head of Communications and Events
REFERENCE NO. 503/0215
- Diverse role allowing you to create, innovate and collaborate
- Opportunity to flex your leadership skills and build productive, high performing teams
- Full-time fixed term for two years, attractive remuneration package: $110K p.a. which includes leave loading and 9.5% super
The mission of the US Studies Centre is to increase understanding of the United States in Australia. A new strategic plan and accompanying business case sets out the Centre’s ambitions to become one of the world’s leading centres for the study of the United States.
The Centre has a well-respected national reputation in large part because of its high media profile, extensive events program and comprehensive online presence. Communications and Events is a new portfolio that has been created to ensure quality, consistency and better coordination across these activities, while creating new opportunities and maximising Centre outcomes.
A core objective of the portfolio is to communicate the Centre’s strategies, initiatives, and messages to the Centre’s target audiences which extend across Australia, the United States and the region. These stakeholder groups include media, prospective students, current students, alumni, government, partners, donors, external influencers, staff and the wider public.
Reporting into the Centre’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Deputy CEO, this role will take responsibility for creating, implementing and measuring the success of comprehensive external communications activities that enhance the Centre's image and position.
As Head of Communications and Events you will:
- lead staff in four key areas – media, events, marketing and online and create high-quality, audience-driven messaging and content for a variety of communications channels targeting the various Centre audiences
- design, develop and implement the Communications and Events portfolio plan with strategic, reputational, and revenue imperatives
- provide leadership, professional expertise, and direction in the planning and execution of high quality events and functions, identify and facilitate discussion and decisions about issues affecting Centre events, and ensure that Centre priorities are reflected in the planning and presentation of events
- drive communications strategies and execute programs that support and promote the Centre’s areas of focus and in line with business objectives
- provide strategic media training and coaching to senior internal stakeholders
- provide strategic external communications advice across a range of issues
- foster and manage effective relationships with a range of key internal staff plus external contacts such as Centre members, suppliers and competitors.
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate:
- five or more years communications experience at a senior advisory level
- experience in developing and implementing integrated communications and events strategies and plans to meet strategic and business requirements
- relevant experience in high quality event management
- experience managing social media and digital communications channels
- well developed project management skills with the capacity to manage competing priorities, maintain attention to detail and to meet deadlines
- demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with key internal stakeholders within a complex organisation
- a degree in marketing, public relations, communications or a related discipline or demonstrated equivalent relevant professional experience
- a bachelor degree or extensive relevant commercial sector experience.
We welcome open minds, curiosity, and a readiness to tackle big questions and we reward it accordingly. Our people are part of a diverse, dynamic and family friendly environment.
To be considered for this position it is essential that you address the online selection criteria. To apply please visit the University of Sydney recruitment website.
Remuneration package: $110,000 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $100,00 p.a., leave loading and 9.5% employer’s contribution to superannuation).
Position enquiries can be directed to Craig Purcell on +61 2 9114 2633. General recruitment enquiries can be directed to Sulastri Haberfriedl on +61 2 8627 1211.
CLOSING DATE: 5pm 16 March 2015
The United States Studies Centre at the University of Sydney is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged. The University of Sydney has also established a scheme to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff employed across the institution. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
The Centre reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
VIDEOS & INTERVIEWS
Director of the Alliance 21 James Brown discusses the feeling in the US after President Barack Obama's State of the Union and looks at the implications of Foreign Minister Julie Bishop's remarks at the Alliance 21 conference in Washington DC.
Visiting fellow Charles Shipan analyses Barack Obama's seventh State of the Union address, which called for tax reform, paid parental leave, and free community college as part of a "middle-class economics" platform.